Home > Service & Support > FAQs > Portable Generator FAQs

Portable Generator FAQs

Portable Generator FAQs

  • Where is the engine made?

    Generac G-FORCE®  and OHVI engines are designed and manufactured by Generac Power Systems Inc. at our facilities in Wisconsin. 

    The Generac OHV engines are not engineered or manufactured in the U.S.

  • How does the Generac G-FORCE® engine compare to air cooled engines used in other brands of generators?

    Unlike other engines used in backup power generation, Generac G-FORCE® engines are designed specifically for generators. They are engineered to run for the long periods of time required during a severe power outage or on a job site. They utilize the same type of pressurized oil lubrication used to give automobile engines long and trouble-free lives. 

  • What type of oil is recommended? How often should it be changed?

    Above 32°F, use SAE 30. Below 40°F and down to -10°F, use 10W-30. Synthetic 5W-30 can be used in all temperatures. Oil should be changed after the first 20-30 hours of operation and every 100 hours of run time thereafter.

  • What type of gasoline is recommended for my portable generator?

    Use clean, fresh unleaded gasoline with a minimum 87 octane rating.

  • How often should I perform routine maintenance on my portable generator?

    All generators require periodic maintenance, such as oil and filter changes, to ensure maximum performance for years of reliable service. Refer to the owner's manual for routine maintenance procedures and schedules. 

  • Does the portable generator need to be grounded?

    It depends on the application. 

    When using just the extension cords, you do not need to use a ground rod. (If you have a bonded neutral portable generator. This can be found in the owner's manual.)

    When connecting to an electrical panel (building electrical system, manual transfer switch, RV, etc.) you need to connect your generator to a ground rod. 

    Ground rods must be pounded into the earth, then connected to the ground lug on the generator via a ground cable. The rod must be at least 8ft into the earth.

    We strongly recommend that you check and adhere to all applicable federal, state and local regulations relating to grounding.

  • When storing my portable, at what point should the gasoline be drained?

    It is highly recommended that you drain the fuel from the tank and run the carburetor dry if you are planning on storing your portable for more than 30 days.  It has been found that fuel begins to deteriorate within approximately one month. In order to preserve its properties, you should add a stabilizer to it right from the start. The stabilizer will neutralize the damaging effect that ethanol has on the components which are responsible for combustion.  Be sure to carefully follow the fuel stabilizer's ratio instructions, and noting the duration that the fuel stabilizer is effective for. 

  • Can I vent the exhaust from my portable generator out of an enclosed area? Where should I set my portable?

    No. Never run the generator indoors, in a garage or in an enclosed area. Portable generators are designed to run outside where there is plenty of ventilation.  You need to position your portable away from doors and windows so that the exhaust fumes do not get inside the house.  The produced carbon monoxide gas can cause serious poisoning.  You should also be sure to set your portable where it will be protected from moisture, rain and snow.

  • Can a portable generator be used during inclement weather?

    NEVER run a generator directly in the rain, snow or other wet conditions. NEVER run a generator indoors or in a garage.

  • Where can I purchase parts for my portable generator?

    Parts can be purchased through any Authorized Generac Dealer. See our Dealer Locator to find a dealer near you. You can buy parts online or call (877) 500-7499. Part numbers are located in the owner’s manual.

  • I can’t locate my original owner’s manual. How can I get another copy?

    Owner's manuals and other documentation can be downloaded from our Product Support Page using the unit's serial number, or contact us for further assistance. 

  • Where can I find a GENERAC dealer in the U.S. or Canada?

    To locate a dealer near you, please refer to our Dealer Locator section on this website.

  • Where do I go to have warranty repairs performed on my portable generator?

    Any Authorized Generac dealer can perform warranty service. To find your local authorized Generac Dealer, see our locator or contact us for additional information. Our Authorized Service Centers provide parts, service and information on Generac equipment, regardless of where it was purchased. Authorized Service Centers are staffed with trained technicians supporting all aspects of the Generac portable generator line.

  • What do CSA, 49ST and 50ST mean?

    CSA denotes whether or not the model is approved by the Canadian Standards Association, 49ST denotes that the product does not meet California requirements and 50ST means it is available for sale in California.

  • What does non-CUL mean?

    CUL is Canadian Underwriter's Laboratories Inc. certified.  If a product is marked that it is non-CUL, that means that model is not certified for use in Canada.

Online Product Support

Looking for more? In Generac's Online Product Support section you can find the specifications, product manuals, frequently asked questions, how-to videos, and more for your product.